Friday, April 16, 2010

Through A Dog's Eyes


Take a look at this inspiring new series coming to TV! My vice is reality television (I'll admit it), but this is something actually worth watching and it fits perfectly with my belief that animals are the most enlightened among us. Although I have seen these working dogs in action helping "their person", this video still made me tear up.



I've been planning to write a future post about a guy named Nick Anderson. I met Nick at Muscular Dystrophy Camp years ago. Nick lives with an amazing working dog named Audi (see the photo to the right) and says, "having [Audi] as a part of my life has been one of the best things for me. "

This trailer is particularly moving for me in the wake of a major health scare involving Riley, my family's Bernese Mountain Dog that basically means everything to me. It looks like he's going to pull through (thank goodness), but it reminded me just how important my animals are to me. I know that, no matter where I am or what I'm doing with my social work degree, animals will be part of my life and hopefully part of my career. I have this image of owning a private practice where kids come in excited to see the animals (and ideally, me too). They can talk to me and receive social work services while either just sitting next to and petting the animal or even helping me care for them. Animals aren't just important for people living with chronic illness - I really think they're therapeutic for everyone: the way their fur feels on your hands, the way they're tuned in to our feelings (maybe more than we are), the warmth of their bodies curled up next to you. Not to mention the loving and excited way they greet you simply because you came back.





Read this review of "Through a Dog's Eyes" and don't miss this premiere on Friday, April 21 at 8pm ET/ 7pm CT (Check your local listings) - I know I'll be watching !

3 comments:

  1. Pets have a wonderful healing quality about them, and their are days it seems they are the only one who understands.
    When I was in high school we used to take our pets to visit a nursing home, and you could really see the difference it made in the people.
    My father broke his back about 15 years ago and as a result has a damaged nerve in his leg that will cause him to fall suddenly. He recently lost his German Shepherd, who was always by his side. That dog had a certain instinct and would always be there to catch him, so that he did not completely fall and get further injured.

    There are a lot of Service Dog organizations and can be a great help to those with any kind of disability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am part of a service dog organization called Palmetto Animal Assisted Life Services. I have AS and have found this wonderful organization and am a weekend foster. It's so neat to see what these dogs are capable of. I watched the show too and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat and Sarah,

    Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments. It seems like you both truly understand the sensitive and healing quality that animals possess. Kat, I think you're right when you said sometime they're the only ones who understand or pick up on our pain. They never cease to amaze me.

    Sarah, what great work you do! I'd love if you could post about being a foster mom for these awesome dogs. What does it entail? I couldn't take on this responsibility in addition to graduate school, but this is something I'd be very interested in when my life settles down a bit. Keep up your amazing work!

    ~Maya

    ReplyDelete